Photo courtesy of Jane Bywater.
To download an application form click Allotments Application Form
We have recently carried out a housing survey in the Town council area. If you would like to see it click here
Presteigne Memorial Hall
The Town Council is working with the Memorial Hall Committee to secure the future of the Memorial Hall. If you would like to see more information about this click here
The Town Council
The Town Council consists of thirteen members, nine representing the town of Presteigne and four covering the village of Norton. All members are chosen by ballot every four years, having been proposed and seconded by parishioners. To be eligible for election, a prospective member has to reside in the community or within three miles of the Parish boundary or own property in the parish.
Once elected, the councillors select their own Chairperson for the year (then known as the Mayor) and a deputy. The Mayor presides over all meetings of the Council, which meets once a month.
The Council employs a Town Clerk who attends all meetings, taking minutes and dealing with any correspondence deemed necessary after a meeting.
Among the main concerns of the Council are local planning applications, which are forwarded to us by Powys County Council for any comments or objections, but over which we have no final jurisdiction. We also inform Powys County Council of any problems in maintenance required to roads, street lighting, children’s play areas etc.
Financial responsibilities are limited to paying our clerk, giving donations as we see fit to help run local organisations and maintaining local amenity grounds belonging to the town. Recently, we have taken over responsibility for the running and upkeep of a toilet block, which Powys CC wanted to close.
A place on the Council is an interesting position, enabling local people to help care for their own area and environment.
Who are our Councillors?
If you would like to know more about the Town Councillors please click Councillors CVs - please note this information relates to the last Council, CV's for new Councillors will be published soon.
Contact and Agendas
To contact the Town Council or request an Agenda for a forthcoming meeting, please write to our clerk, Tracey Price, Garn Farm, Chaple Lawn, Bucknell, Shropshire, SY7 0BT, email her at email@example.com, or telephone 01547 528575.
Meeting Dates for Coming Year
17th April, 15th May, 19th June, 17th July, 21st August Town Walk, 18th September, 16th October, 20th November, 18th December, 15th January 2014, 19th February, 19th March, 16th April, 21st May.
Please click on the document you wish to see Precept 2012 -2013 , Annual Accounts Year End March 2013 , Draft Accounts Allotments , Draft Accounts Meadow , Draft Accounts Treasurer , Draft Accounts Receipts , Financial Regulations 2011 , Standing Orders , Freedom of Information Publication Scheme Notice , Freedom of Information Model Scheme , Freedom of Information Act Information Guide
Most Recent Approved Minutes
If you want to view or download earlier approved minutes please click as appropriate: April 2013 , March 2013 , February 2013 , January 2013 , December 2012 , November 2012 , October 2012 , September 2012 , August 2012 , July 2012 , June 2012 , May 2012 , April 2012
MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 17TH APRIL 2013
AT THE SHIREHALL, BROAD STREET, PRESTEIGNE
Present: Cllrs. B. Price (Mayor), Ms B. Baynham ( Deputy Mayor), C. Kirkby, J. Matthews, H. Owens, Ms. F. Preece, P. Robinson, J. Tennant-Eyles, J. Wilding, J. Williams.
Apologies:. G. Banks, Ms. N. Humphreys, P. Smith
In Attendance: Mrs T. Price, Town Clerk
Declarations of Interest. Members were requested to declare any personal and/or prejudicial interests they may have in matters to be considered at this meeting in accordance with the terms of the Local Authorities (Model Code of Conduct Order) (Wales) Order 2008.
Personal and Prejudicial
Cllr. J. Williams related to owner of candidate site LDP Candidate Site Responses
Cllr. Ms. Baynham related to owner of candidate site LDP Candidate Site Responses
Cllr. J. Wilding owner of candidate site LDP Candidate Site Responses
MIN 2660 APPROVAL OF MINUTES
The Minutes of the Meeting on 20th March were approved with no amendments. The Mayor then duly signed the Minutes.
MIN 2661 CLERK'S REPORT/UPDATE
(1) .Cwm Harry Land Trust Zero Waste Project - Cllr. Kirkby provided Members with a final report on the Zero Waste Project. As discussed at the March meeting a letter had been sent to the Mid Wales Journal and this had been published albeit with heavy editing. In addition Cllr. Kirkby was pleased to report that approximately £8000 had been distributed to local good causes.
(2) Wind Turbines - The letter from the SHCG was noted.
(3) Clerk's Report - The items in the Clerk's report were noted.
MIN 2662 FINANCE
Mid Border Arts £500.00
Presteigne Little Peoples Playgroup £500.00
Presteigne Youth Project £1200.00
The letter of thanks from Presteigne Primary School (school crossing patrol funding) was noted.
T.A. Price £643.80
HMRC (tax and Ni due on above) £215.23
. N. Close £21.00
N. Close £30.00 MEADOW ACCOUNT
SLCC (annual membership) £127.00
One Voice Wales (annual membership) £347.00
Radnorshire Wildlife Trust Ltd £60.00
(3) Receipts: Allotment Rent £525.00
Meadow Donation (Gwilt) £200.00
VAT Refund 2012-13 £1527.63
(4) Annual Accounts/External Audit Annual Governance Statement - Members received and approved the draft Accounts for 2012/13. Members approved sections one and two of the external audit form, including completion of the annual governance statement for submission to the Council's external auditors.
(5) VAT Return 2012/13 - Members noted that this had been completed and forwarded to HM Customs and Excise.
(6) Tax Office Employers Return - Members noted that this had been completed and returned on line.
(7) Internal Audit - The Clerk reported that this had been completed with no issues having been raised.
(8) Bank Transfer Meadow Account The transfer of the precepted amount of £3500 from the Treasurer Account to the Meadow Account was agreed
MIN 2663 PLANNING
(1) Planning Applications
P2013 0295 Full, installation of 2 ventilation louvres in place of existing glazing at British Telecom Automatic Telephone Exchange, Broad Street, Presteigne. No objections raised.
P2013 0343 full, erection of a covered farmyard manure storage building at Ackhill Farm, Dolley Green , Presteigne. No objections raised.
P2013 0349 LBC, display of 2 internally illuminated hanging signs, 5 internally illuminated signs and 2 non illuminated signs at Lloyds TSB Bank PLC, 52 Hereford Street, Presteigne. No objections raised providing the lighted signs are turned off by 11pm each evening.
P2013 0322, for householder, erection of sun lounge extension to rear at 33 Offas Green, Norton. No objections raised.
(2) Local Development Plan Candidate Sites - Members considered in detail the recommendations of the LDP Working Group and discussed each proposed site in detail. The Clerk agreed to collate the responses to forward to the County Council.
During this item the following Members left the room as follows -
Cllr. J. Wilding For the duration of all the Norton Sites
Cllr. J. Williams For the duration of sites 782 and 872
Cllr. Ms. Baynham For the duration of site 688
(3) Policy on Live/Work Units - The reply from the County Council was noted. The Clerk was asked to obtain the site decision notice for the recent planning permission on Artisans Row.
(4) Letter re. Cattery, Knighton Road - Members noted the letter received by Cllr. Matthews from the applicant raising concerns about the permission issued. As this was the responsibility of the County Council the Clerk agreed to forward the letter on to them for a response.
MIN 2664 HIGHWAYS, HOUSING AND ENVIRONMENT
(1) Tennis Courts, Went's Meadow - The Clerk reported that Stuart Mackintosh was due to make a report to the Cabinet on this issue but that the officers had confirmed that the finance would still be available in 2013/14.
(2) School Transport - The reply from the County Council was noted. The Clerk was asked to forward the response to the Chair of Governors at John Beddoes School.
(3) Allotments - The Clerk reported that the majority of the rental income was now in. An issue had arisen where one tenant had temporarily moved out of the Council's area. It was agreed that the tenancy should be allowed to continue for a further year and that the matter would be reviewed again in March 2014.
(7) General Highway Items
The Clerk had obtained progress reports on a number of items and these were as follows -
Verge Markers, Boultibrooke - These were now in place
Blocked Drains, Hereford Street - These were due to be done in the near future
White Lines, just outside Norton - This area of road was due to be re-surfaced over the summer months and so the County Council did not wish to re-do the lines at present. It had however agreed to place temporary signs at the spot indicating there were no road markings.
Pavings, Broad Street - These had been scheduled with a contractor and should be done within the next few weeks.
Scallions Sign - The Clerk was to provide details of the sign so the County Council could replace it.
Scallions Cleaning - This was scheduled to be done.
MIN 2665 NORTON
Best Kept Village Sign - No comments had been received as yet. It was agreed to consider the matter further at the next meeting.
MIN 2666 WENT'S MEADOW AND EDDIE'S MEADOW
Cllr. Kirkby updated Members on the progress with Eddie's Meadow.
He also confirmed that the Totem pole on Went's Meadow had been removed by Sheep Music as it was unsafe.
He confirmed that a grant application for £12,300 plus VAT had now been submitted to the Tidy Towns Community Led Projects LEQ unit for work on Went's Meadow and the Withy Beds Nature Reserve.
MIN 2667 YOUTH MATTERS
Cllr. Tennant-Eyles provided Members with an update on the work of the Youth Project.
MIN 2668 CORRESPONDENCE/GENERAL ITEMS
(1) Town Fireworks Display - Nothing further to report.
(2) Closure of Knighton Sorting Office - Cllr. Price reported on the meeting he had attended on 25th March.
(3) Wales Rural Observatory Services Survey 2013 - Cllr. Price agreed to complete this survey.
MIN 2669 TOWN COUNCIL SURGERIES
The April Surgery had had several visitors and the matters raised were being followed up as appropriate.
Cllrs. Price and Ms. Baynham to attend the May Surgery.
MIN 2670 INFORMATION ITEMS
MIN 2671 URGENT ITEMS
Welsh Blood Service - Cllr. Ms. Baynham reported that on the recent visit to the town the hours during which donors could attend were very unsuitable for working people. The Clerk was asked to write raising these concerns.
There being no further business to discuss the meeting closed at 9.15 pm.